Published: December 12, 2023
Pages: 384
Series: DI Adam Fawley #3
Genre: Police Procedural / Crime Fiction / Mystery
Format: Physical • Audiobook
Narrators: Lee Ingleby, Emma Cunniffle, Roy McMillan
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐.5
☕ The Tea (Spoiler-Free Synopsis)
It’s one of the most disturbing cases DI Adam Fawley has ever worked.
It’s Christmas in Oxford, and firefighters have pulled two children from the smoking ruin of their home. The mystery deepens when it becomes clear that the parents are nowhere to be found. Why were the children left in the house alone? Why is neither parent answering their phone? We’re they kidnapped? Murdered? From the start, DI Fawley - still reeling from his own personal tragedy - knows that this house fire is the scene of a crime, not an accident.
Then new evidence comes to light and confirms the team’s worst suspicions. The blaze was arson. Who would have torched a seemingly happy family’s home on Christmas?
As DI Fawley and his team of detectives sift through the evidence, old tensions and new problems in the family are slowly revealed. Something terribly out of the ordinary has happened, and the truth slowly begins to reveal itself…
A gripping and provocative tale of arson, murder, and family intrigue, No Way Out is everything you’d expect from one of Britain’s queens of crime, Cara Hunter.
💭 My Thoughts
This is the third book in the DI Adam Fawley series. The Thames Valley Police has been tasked with investigating the devastating house fire where there were two young kids inside. DI Fawley is investigating this case with DS Gislingham, DC Somer, and DC Everett. DC Quinn is also on the case even though he has been disgraced and demoted from his detective sergeant position.
When I first started reading the DI Adam Fawley series, I wasn’t sure how I would handle reading books with no chapters. I researched why Cara Hunter doesn’t have chapters in her books, and I found out that she wanted the books to flow as if you were in on the investigation. When I read her books, I feel like I am right there with the DI and his team.
Cara Hunter loves putting multimedia in her books, which is something that I love. In No Way Out, you get the newspaper articles, interview transcripts, fire and autopsy reports and even the blueprints of the house.
Out of the books I have so far, this one is my least favorite, mainly due to the ending of the investigation. Did I guess some of the twists? Yes, but I also second-guessed myself a few times. It just didn’t grip me like the other books.
🚔 If You Like…
Readers who enjoy these authors should check this one out:
🎯 Final Verdict
⭐ Rating: 3.5
Would I recommend it? Yes
Who should read it?
Perfect for readers who love:
✔ Complex investigations
✔ Smart detectives
✔ Procedural realism
✔ Strong character development
✔ Dark mysteries
💬 Let’s Spill the Tea!
Have you read [Book Title]?
Did you figure out the mystery before the detective?
Who’s your favorite fictional investigator?
Let me know in the comments!
📌 Share This Review
If you enjoyed this review, be sure to:
❤️ Follow Spill the Tea & Turn the Page
📚 Check out my latest mystery and thriller reviews
☕ Share this post with your favorite crime-fiction reader
Comments
Post a Comment