Book Review: The Whisper Man by Alex North


Author: Alex North

Genre: Psychological Thriller / Mystery

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐½ (3.5/5)

📖 Synopsis

In this psychological thriller, Alex North weaves a multi-generational tale of suspense as a father and son are caught in the crosshairs of an investigation to catch a serial killer preying on a small town.

After the sudden death of his wife, Tom Kennedy believes a fresh start will help him and his young son, Jake, heal. A new beginning, a new house, a new town: Featherbank.

But Featherbank has a dark past.

Twenty years ago, a serial killer abducted and murdered five children. Before Frank Carter was finally caught, he was nicknamed The Whisper Man because he would lure his victims out by whispering at their windows at night.

Just as Tom and Jake begin settling into their new home, another young boy vanishes. His disappearance bears an unnerving resemblance to Frank Carter’s crimes, reigniting old suspicions that he may have had an accomplice.

Now, detectives Amanda Beck and Pete Willis must find the missing boy before it’s too late—even if it means Pete has to confront his greatest nightmare in prison: The Whisper Man himself.

And then Jake begins acting strangely.

He hears someone whispering at his window…

☕ My Thoughts

The Whisper Man is the first book I’ve read by Alex North, and overall, I enjoyed it. However, I went into this one expecting it to be a lot scarier and creepier than it actually was.

I was expecting that “why did I read this before bed?” kind of creepy. You know, the kind where you wake up in the middle of the night because you were dreaming about what you just read and suddenly every little noise in the house sounds suspicious.

Unfortunately, I never quite got there.

There are definitely unsettling moments—especially anything involving the whispering—but for me, this felt much more like a psychological thriller with some supernatural and horror elements rather than an outright scary read.

What really worked for me was the pacing. The chapters are short and concise, which made this an incredibly easy book to keep reading. It was constantly giving me that “just one more chapter” feeling, and before I knew it, I had read several.

The story is also very character-driven, which gives it more emotional depth than I was expecting. At its core, this isn’t just a story about catching a killer. It’s also about grief, complicated relationships between fathers and sons, and the ways trauma can follow families through generations.

Tom and Jake’s relationship was particularly interesting to me. They are both grieving the loss of Tom’s wife and Jake’s mother, but neither really knows how to communicate what they’re feeling. Tom is desperately trying to connect with his son while also questioning whether he’s doing anything right as a father. Jake, meanwhile, is dealing with his grief in his own unusual way.

That emotional storyline added another layer to the mystery.

🔎 Multiple POVs

Another thing I enjoyed was the use of multiple points of view.

We get perspectives from Tom, Jake, Pete, Amanda, and—interestingly—even the killer.

Most of the POVs are written in third person, while Tom’s chapters are written in first person. I actually liked this choice because it made Tom’s grief, fear, and uncertainty feel much more personal.

The different perspectives also kept the story moving. Instead of following the investigation from only one angle, we see what’s happening through the family, the detectives, and the person behind the crimes.

And getting glimpses into the killer’s mind added another unsettling element because we know things the other characters don’t.

👀 But Was It Creepy?

This is where the book lost a little bit of its rating for me.

The premise is terrifying.

A man whispering outside children’s windows at night?

Absolutely not.

There was so much potential for this book to completely creep me out, especially with Jake hearing things and talking about things that Tom doesn’t understand. There were moments when I thought the story was about to lean fully into that eerie atmosphere, but it never quite reached the level of scary I was hoping for.

I felt uneasy at times, but I never felt genuinely frightened.

And with a title like The Whisper Man, I wanted to be checking my windows before I went to bed. 😂

🤔 That Ending…

The ending is probably the other major reason this landed at 3.5 stars for me.

Without giving anything away, Alex North leaves us with a final moment that is deliberately open-ended and left up to the reader’s imagination.

And I understand what he was going for.

But frankly?

I wanted more.

After spending the entire book trying to figure out exactly what was happening and how everything connected, I wanted something a little more concrete from those final moments.

At the same time, I can’t deny that the ending works with the unsettling tone of the story. It leaves you wondering whether everything can actually be explained—or whether there might be something darker lurking beneath the surface.

And maybe that’s the point.

⭐ Final Verdict: 3.5/5

Overall, The Whisper Man was an enjoyable psychological thriller with an intriguing mystery, short addictive chapters, multiple POVs, and more emotional depth than I expected.

The father-son relationships and themes of grief and generational trauma were actually some of the strongest parts of the story for me.

I just wish it had leaned harder into the creepy atmosphere promised by its premise. I wanted more moments that made me uncomfortable turning off the lights at night, and I wanted a little more closure from the ending.

Still, this was a solid introduction to Alex North, and I would definitely be willing to pick up another one of his books.

Read this if you enjoy:

🔎 Psychological thrillers
👀 Serial killer investigations
🏚️ Creepy small-town settings
🧩 Multiple POVs
👨‍👦 Complicated father-son relationships
💔 Stories about grief and trauma
👻 A touch of the supernatural
📖 Short, bingeable chapters

The Tea: ☕☕☕½
The Creep Factor: 👻👻👻
The Mystery: 🔎🔎🔎🔎
Overall: ⭐⭐⭐½


Comments